Dynamics CRM, O365

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Invalid Argument after Assigning User

Root Cause: ultimately this came down to registry inconsistencies between the 32 and 64 bit versions of office. This user used the 32 bit version for a while, until their usage called for the 64 bit version. Typical uninstalling and reinstalling failed, uninstall tools failed.

The ultimate error:

Then one day…

This started off with an issue with Office not updating properly. Received this error when updating:

Sorry, we ran into a problem.
Error Code: 30015-13 (255)

Then received this issue after trying to run a repair install:

Something went wrong
Sorry, we ran into a problem.
Error Code: 30068-4 (3)

I tried using the Unintall tool to no avail. I could uninstall, and reinstall, but could not update, and could not update. I ended up updating my latest Office deployment tool and it fixed the update and repair issue.

THENNNNNNNNN………… Came an issue with Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

CRM would not reinstall, due to the registry inconsistencies (figured out eventually). What was annoying about this, is, I wrongfully assumed Microsoft Support was equipped to fix this quickly, the user was a power user and needed to be back up faster than if I tried to troubleshoot myself and figure out out eventually. They wasted soooooo much time, uninstalling and reinstalling.

Eventually it “installed” but then, as the title puts it, when assinging the user, it error’ed out:

Log File:

What worked:
Basically Deleting all registry entries fixed the root problem. Look for all entries under:
Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM


REG_SZ: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin\crmexceladdin.dll

REG_SZ: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin\CrmWinFormsHost.dll

REG_SZ: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin\crmaddin.dll

REG_SZ: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin\crmexceladdin.dll

REG_SZ: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin\crmaddin.dll

I’ll say again DELETE everything
Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Stop the Following Services
Microsoft CRM Outlook Client Telemetry Service
Stop SQL Server

Delete the Following Paths:
%localappdata%\Microsoft\MSCRM -Delete
%appdata%\Microsoft\MSCRM -Delete
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server -Delete if only CRM using it. See folder 90
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition -Delete if only CRM using it
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM -DELETE

Delete These additional Registry Keys:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics CRM 201* for Microsoft Office Outlook 
or Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Microsoft Office Outlook
or Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 for Microsoft Office Outlook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\MSCRMIntegration 

Delete registry entries at least until you get to: InprocServer32 type entries. There are a lot, and the issue was resolved with the previous steps.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.